Saturday, February 2, 2013

Making tortillas


I am not going to lie. Making tortillas is alot like work. I certainly will not judge you if you stick with store bought (just don't read the ingredient label)!
When I told my husband I wanted to make homemade tortillas he looked at me like I sprouted a second head. He understands that I want to save our household money and eat healthier but he thought tortillas were taking it too far. Being me, I did it anyway.
Making them from scratch is rewarding when you have that first tortilla fresh and hot from the pan. It is even more rewarding when you realize everything you need to make them you already have in your pantry!





3 cups all purpose flour OR:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup oil, I used coconut but you can use whatever you like
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup hot water

Mix flour, salt and baking powder then add oil. Mix with your hands until incorporated and crumbly. With your hands again, mix in hot water to form the dough. My dough was sticky. If yours is also dust lightly with flour as you knead. Knead on a lightly floured surface for a minute or two just until you have a smooth dough ball. Get as much flour dusted off as you can. Wrap with plastic wrap and let dough rest in the fridge for at least thirty minutes. You can make your dough in the morning then pull it out for dinner.



Pinch off a small amount of dough and roll into a ball. Press ball down flat with the palm of your hand then roll, alternating directions to form a 'circle'. I use the term 'circle' loosely here. My batches yield 13 oddly shaped tortillas. I have not mastered the perfect tortilla circle......yet.
Heat a non stick or cast iron skillet to between med and med high heat. Put your masterpiece in the skillet. You know when it is time to turn when bubbles start to form on the top of your tortilla. Flip and cook a minute or two more. Serve immediately.
I used mine to make burritos for the freezer so I let mine cool on wire racks. If you do not have any wire racks , place them in a single layer on a flat surface then flip your tortillas over after they have cooled some to keep them from getting soggybottom syndrome.

You can store your tortillas in a ziplock bag on the counter or in the fridge. Best if used within a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment