Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Scrap Magic


Here is some more scrap magic for you. I serve lots of veggies during the week and usually there is only a small amount left so I would just throw it out. No more. I now have a container in the freezer that I put these scraps in. Once my container is full I make Scrap soup. Scrap soup is basically stock or broth of your choosing (use your vegetable stock cubes you made from the previous post)water, salt, pepper and your scrap vegetables. My ratio is around 2 cups broth or stock to 1 cup water. I love the flavor so I like more broth than water. Your ratio should reflect your own tastes. The last time I made scrap soup I added leftover Thanksgiving turkey that I had frozen. You can add whatever meat you like if you do not prefer just vegetable soup. Like the vegetable stock no two scrap soups will be the same. My last batch had spinach, green beans cooked two different ways, corn and carrots.

Some other recipes I plan to try with my scraps are:
Scrap pot pie
Scrap Shepherd's pie
Scrap veggie frittata

Pretty much anything you would use a can of mixed vegetable for substitute with your scraps! Even if all you have left is a tablespoon of peas and carrots it adds up! Getting a meal out of what I would normally waste is a good deal in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment